Mr. William W. McClarin, Jr., age 97, of Concord, Massachusetts, passed away on Wednesday, April 27, 2011, at Rivercrest after a short illness. For more than 16 years he had been a resident of Newbury Court, where he was an active and dearly loved member of that retirement community. He was predeceased in 2008 by his loving wife of 68 years, Doris (Heisler) McClarin.
Born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Mr. McClarin was the son of the late
Dr. William W. McClarin, Sr., and Mary Jane (Fitzsimons) McClarin. He was a graduate of the William Penn Charter School (class of 1931) and of Dartmouth College (class of 1935). He served in the United States Navy during World War II. He was the co-owner of a local home heating oil company, near Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, where the McClarins lived for many years and where they raised their family.
After moving to Swarthmore in 1948, Mr. McClarin became active in many local organizations, including the Players Club and the Swarthmore Swim Club. He was especially proud of having started a boys’ baseball league, and he coached children’s teams for many years. He was an avid gardener and spent many hours working in his formal rose garden, cultivating his prize-winning roses.
In 1974 the McClarins moved to Long Beach Island, New Jersey, where they had a summer home – their “first retirement”. They loved living close to the ocean, walking the beaches, observing wildlife, and entertaining their many friends and extended family at “The Shore”. They both became enthusiastic volunteers and participants in the many activities associated with the Terrace First United Methodist Church. The church became a central part of their lives, and they made many wonderful friends there. In 1994 the McClarins decided that it was time to move to a retirement community, and so they made the big move northward to Concord to be close to their family who all lived in New England.
Mr. and Mrs. McClarin moved into Newbury Court on the day that it opened in December, 1994; along with three others who moved in that day, they were the original residents of this New England Deaconess community. They never regretted the move and remained enthusiastic supporters of the community throughout the rest of their lives. Mr. McClarin was delighted to have the opportunity to create another rose garden on the terrace of his new home, and his very generous nature was evident through his work in supporting the staff appreciation fund, in starting a scholarship fund for staff members attending college, and in his support of the Duvall Chapel. He made many close friends among both the residents and the staff members, whom he always treated with great respect. The love and respect showered upon him by members of the staff during his illness in April was overwhelming and truly wonderful. He knew that he was loved.
With family close by, Mr. McClarin was able to enjoy trips to New Hampshire to visit his son, Bill, and to celebrate holidays and family birthday parties with his daughter Barbara’s extended family, including the very young great-grandchildren. The week before he died he still enjoyed tossing baseballs back and forth with the three-year-olds visiting him at Rivercrest.
Mr. McClarin is survived by his son, William W. McClarin, III, of Twin Mountain, NH, and by his daughter, Barbara Bing and her husband Stephen of Bolton; by his two granddaughters, Sarah Bing-Owen of Leverett and Stephanie Bing of Maynard, along with their husbands Christopher Owen and Jeffrey Copetas; and five great-grandchildren: Emily, Matthew, and James Owen, Nathan and Zachary Copetas.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that gifts in his name be made to the Newbury Court Scholarship Fund or to the Duvall Chapel Fund – with checks made out to NEDA and sent to the New England Deaconess Association, Attn. Chief Executive Officer, 80 Deaconess Rd., Concord, MA 01742 – with an indication of which fund it should be applied to.
Arrangements are under the care of Glenn D. Burlamachi, CONCORD FUNERAL HOME, Concord.
Proud to be family owned, operated and occupied since 1936.